- build4good is a matching and mentoring summer internship program for post-secondary students and nonprofit organizations that aims to inspire a network of future leaders to develop socially minded technology, discover public service oriented careers, and raise awareness among nonprofits about the power of technology for social good.
- Interns have access to mentorship from their host organization and the build4good team, and leaders and experts from tech companies and other non-profits.
- A build4good internship focuses on mission-driven work, leadership development, project management, and design-thinking.
- Students complete an online application during the Spring semester. Applications are reviewed, and students are invited to participate in an interview with our team.
- If your experiences and interests are a match with potential host organizations, we will invite you for an interview with potential nonprofits.
- Finally, if a nonprofit selects you, they will extend you an offer and we will begin discussing your project for the summer.
- The build4good team and your host organization will provide mentorship, networking opportunities, speaker events, an online community, and workshops such as design-thinking and leadership development.
- The selected cohort of interns will meet in-person at the New America office in Washington DC in June for a two day kick-off and leadership development gathering.
- The internship period is for 10-12 weeks from early-June to mid/late-August. Each project can take 10-40 hours depending on the scope of the work and an intern’s availability.
At the beginning of the internship, interns will meet with their host organization(s) to discuss the project’s goals and timelines.
- Throughout the summer, interns will work on the defined project, work with their organization’s mentor, and meet with the build4good team and cohort of interns for weekly check-ins and leadership development opportunities.
- Interns will also be part of an online Slack community with other interns. This will allow interns an opportunity to engage with each other about their projects and topics of interest, attend virtual events together, and provide overall support for one another.
- At the end of the summer, the build4good team will work with interns on post-build4good plans and supporting interns on how to talk about their experience on resumes.
Host organizations are required to offer a stipend.
When applying, you will have the opportunity to share causes you are interested in and/or passionate about and we will do our best to match you with an organization that fits that cause.
Nope! This program is primarily virtual, however, if opportunities arise we will do our best to co-locate interns in the same geographic areas as a host organization. In a post-covid world, we hope to fund travel for site visits for interns to visit their nonprofits and the communities they are supporting.
Summer 2023 internships will occur after Memorial Day through – August 18 with the possibility of beginning early or running later depending on the preferences of the host organization and the intern. Please submit your application by March 10, 2023 Eastern Time. If your application is moved forward, you will be contacted by March 17 for a 30 minute virtual interview. If your application is approved, matches with host organizations will be made by the end of April. For questions: email@example.com